Searching over 5,500,000 cases.

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.

State v. Van Bogart

Supreme Court of Arizona

November 12, 1958

STATE of Arizona, Appellee,
James VAN BOGART, Appellant.

Page 598

[85 Ariz. 64] Amil J. Ajamie, Phoenix, for appellant.

Robert Morrison, Atty. Gen., Charles C. Stidham, County Atty., Phoenix, Douglas H. Standage, Deputy County Atty., Mesa, for the State.

PHELPS, Justice.

Defendant James Van Bogart was convicted by a jury of the crime of first degree arson. From the judgment and sentence imposed thereon he appeals to this court.

The facts are that defendant was the owner of a home on the desert some 12 or 13 miles east of Mesa. Defendant is a married man but was not living with his wife at the time his home was destroyed by fire. A few days before the fire occurred defendant employed one Karlene L. Glascow, a married woman, as a housekeeper. Mrs. Glascow and her small child accompanied him to his home and worked as such housekeeper for about one week when defendant told her he could get carpenter work at Lakeside and was going there to work. Mrs. Glascow agreed to go to Lakeside with him in the capacity of a housekeeper. Pursuant thereto they went to Lakeside.

[85 Ariz. 65] A few days later, on Sunday May 27, 1956 about nine o'clock a. m. defendant informed Mrs. Glascow that he had to take a trip to Mesa and they left for Mesa about one o'clock p. m. that day. Mrs. Glascow drove the car at the request of defendant. They arrived at Florence Junction around 6:30 p. m. and had dinner there. They left Florence Junction at approximately 8:30 p. m. One reason for remaining there so long, according to the testimony of Mrs. Glascow, was because defendant told her he '* * * wanted to get to his house a little bit later, when it was dark, as he told me he didn't want the neighbors to know all his business.'

According to Mrs. Glascow's testimony they arrived in the neighborhood of defendant's home around nine to nine-thirty p. m.; that when they arrived at the road leading north from Highway 60 to defendant's house he instructed her to continue to drive west on Highway 60 until she reached the second road from the road which led north to his house. She did this and drove north on said road until she reached a spot approximately opposite defendant's house where she stopped and headed her car east; that after a little while defendant got out of the car and went to his home and in about 30 minutes he returned to the car carrying a tub full of articles including a typewriter.

After he brought the tub back he waited until the lights of the church across the road from his home went out, and he went back to the house. He was gone 'not very long' she said when she heard a sound coming from the house '* * * like a great big whish, and I saw flames coming from the top of the house, and two or three or four minutes later Mr. Bogart ran back to the car.' When asked if he was running or walking she replied: 'No, he was running.' She was asked if defendant said anything to her at the time and she replied: 'He told me, he said, 'watch the fire, because there is $3,500 coming to life.''

They remained there until the fire was practically out. During the fire she heard a sound like matal scraping on the ground and defendant explained it by saying he had removed the right rear tire off of the car in the carport because he wanted that to burn so he could collect the insurance. After the fire they proceeded on north on the road where they were parked and circled around through the desert until they again reached Highway 60. They stopped

Page 599

at a service station and got gas and then returned to Lakeside.

On June 1 Mrs. Glascow drove defendant's 1947 Pontiac to Phoenix where she met her mother and they drove on to Los Angeles. Defendant called upon her at her home on July 3 and offered her a $500 bribe to assist him in establishing an alibi in the event he should be prosecuted. On July 6 she received a letter from him bearing[85 Ariz. 66] date, San Diego, California, July 5, 1956, in which he outlined the testimony she should give to corroborate other witnesses whom he stated would testify that she and he were in Show Low at the Wagon Wheel show at 9:30 p. m. on May 27, and that they returned to their cabin after midnight that night.

On the same night that defendant called at her home Mrs. Glascow reported these matters to a Mr. James Hall in Phoenix. She later came to Mesa, Arizona and swore to a complaint against defendant charging him with first degree arson. After preliminary hearing on September 15, 1956 defendant was bound over to the superior court and bond fixed at $1,500 which defendant made. The case was set for trial on November 28, 1956. The case was duly called for trial on the above date. Both counsel for the State and defendant were present but the defendant failed to appear. A bench warrant was thereupon issued for his arrest and the bond ordered forfeited. The records show by return of this bench warrant that it was served on defendant 'at the county jail', September 19, 1957. This was ten months after its issuance. The case was finally set for trial on November 13, 1957 and came up for trial on that date.

After twenty-four men had been called into the jury box for voir dire examination touching upon their qualifications to sit as jurors in the case, the defendant began to interrupt the proceedings by inquiring 'what's going on here?' and stating that he was being railroaded and that he would not be quiet. This conduct continued throughout the voir dire examination of the jury by the court and until defendant was gagged by direction of the court after he had been told the court would have to gag him if he didn't keep quiet, which the court stated he did not want to do and defendant told them to put the gag on him, he wanted to be gagged; he would like a picture of it. He was not going to be framed, etc. When defendant first began his disturbance the court called both counsel to the bench and asked Mr. Gibson who had represented defendant for over a year, what was wrong and was informed by Mr. Gibson that defendant didn't want to go to trial; he is going to create a scene and that he didn't want Gibson to represent him at the trial.

The court permitted defendant to continue to disturb the proceedings until the voir dire examination of the jury was concluded, then ordered him gagged. Later he told defendant he would permit him to personally conduct his own defense but would permit Mr. Gibson to sit by him and advise him concerning anything with which he was not familiar. Defendant was kept gagged during the time the twelve jurors were sworn and the reading of the information, after which the gag was removed and [85 Ariz. 67] defendant was permitted to represent himself throughout the trial.

Defendant has first assigned as error the refusal of the trial court to permit defendant to conduct his own defense until it was too late for him to empanel his jury, and forcing defendant to ...

Buy This Entire Record For $7.95

Download the entire decision to receive the complete text, official citation,
docket number, dissents and concurrences, and footnotes for this case.

Learn more about what you receive with purchase of this case.